Allison Hansen's victory in number five singles set the tone for the 4-3 comeback win for the Utes
April 25, 2003
SAN DIEGO - Seventh-seeded Utah used an impressive comeback to pull off a 4-3 victory over sixth-seeded Air Force in the consolation bracket of the 2003 MWC Women's Tennis Championship Friday at Barnes Tennis Center.
The Falcons picked up an early 1-0 advantage after securing the doubles point. Laura Nigro and Gina Black posted an 8-4 win at the number one position, while Heather Shelby and Kat Bushey took their match at the number three spot, 8-3. Black went on to give Air Force a 2-0 lead after defeating Utah's Rachel Alder in straight sets (6-0, 6-1) at the number four singles position. Allison Hansen put the Utes on the board with her 6-0, 6-2 win over Air Force's Kelli O'Bryant at the number five spot. Her victory sparked the comeback, as Maria Svensson and Sheri Esrock won the next two matches. Svensson took out Katie Tomkie in straight sets (6-2, 6-4) at the six spot, while Esrock pulled out a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 victory over Heather Shelby at the number two position to give the Utes the 3-2 advantage. Kat Bushey kept the Falcons alive as she pulled out a three-set victory over Cassie Kasteler at the three position, knotting the score at three apiece. With the match hanging in the balance, Ellen Svensson gave the Utah the victory with her three-set triumph (7-5, 3-6, 6-2) over the Falcons' Laura Nigro at the number one singles spot.
Utah improves to 7-17 overall on the season and will face Colorado State for fifth-place in the 9 a.m. match at SDSU Courts on Saturday. Air Force finishes its season with a 15-13 overall record.
Mountain West Conference Women's Tennis Championship
First Round Barnes Tennis Center, San Diego, Calif. April 25, 2003
1. Ellen Svensson (Utah) def. Laura Nigro (AFA) 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
2. Sheri Esrock (Utah) def. Heather Shelby (AFA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Kat Bushey (AFA) def. Cassie Kasteler (Utah) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Gina Black (AFA) def. Rachel Alder (Utah) 6-0, 6-1
5. Allison Hansen (Utah) def. Kelli O'Bryant (AFA) 6-0, 6-2
6. Maria Svensson (Utah) def. Katie Tomkie (AFA) 6-2, 6-4
1. L. Nigro/Black (AFA) def. E. Svensson/Hansen (Utah), 8-4
2. Shelby/Bushey (AFA) def. M. Svensson/Esrock (Utah), 8-3
3. O'Bryant/J. Nigro (AFA) vs. Doyle/Kasteler (Utah), Did Not Finish