Ellen Svensson helped pick up two points for the Utes. First, she teamed with Allison Hansen for a win in number one doubles, then she picked up a solo win in number one singles.
April 12, 2003
LARAMIE, Wyo. -- The University of Utah women's tennis team finished the conference season on a high note today, as they picked up their first conference win with a 5-2 defeat over the Wyoming Cowgirls. The win puts the Utes at 5-12 on the year, 1-6 in the Mountain West, with three matches left in the regular season.
The Utes captured the doubles point after taking two of three matches. Ellen Svensson and Allison Hansen defeated Yulliani Santi and Jen Hancock 8-4 in number one doubles, and Maria Svensson and Sheri Esrock defeated Gwen Moser and Megan Williams 8-1.
The strong Utah play continued in singles, as Ellen Svensson beat Patricia Chien 7-5, 6-2 in number one singles. Sheri Esrock defeated Yuliani Santi 6-2, 6-2 in number two singles. The Utes also picked up points in number five and six singles, with Allison Hansen defeating Megan Williams 6-2, 6-4, and Maria Svensson defeating Gwen Moser 6-4, 6-0.
The Utes will return home for the final home match of the year, against Portland State on Monday, April 14 at the Eccles Tennis Center.
1. Ellen Svensson (UU) def. Patricia Chien (UW) 7-5, 6-2
2. Sheri Esrock (UU) def. Yuliani Santi (UW) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kati Gyulai (UW) def. Cassie Kasteler (UU) 7-6, 6-0
4. Jen Hancock (UW) def. Rachel Alder (UU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Maria Svennson (UU) def. Gwen Moser (UW) 6-4, 6-0
1. E. Svennson/Hansen (UU) def. Hancock/Santi (UW) 8-4
2. Chien/Gyulai (UW) def. Kasteler/Doyle (UU) 8-1
3. M. Svennson/Esrock (UU) def. Williams/Moser (UW) 8-1