Ellen Svensson teamed with Cassie Kasteler in the number one doubles on Sunday against Kansas. The duo fell to Courtney and Kristen Steinbock 9-7.
Feb. 16, 2003
TOPEKA, Kan, -- - The University of Utah women's tennis team again fell to a ranked opponent, this time at the rackets of the 47th-ranked Kansas Jayhawks in Topeka on Sunday, Feb. 16. The loss drops the Utes to 2-4 overall on the season, and it marks the fourth straight loss for the Utes.
"We had a shot to get four points today," Utah Head Coach Megan Payne-Dorny said. "We had a shot to win the match. We had chances in the doubles, and at the two, four and six singles positions." The Utes were again unable to win any of the three doulbes mathces, but contested in two of the three. Cassie Kasteler and Ellen Svensson fell to the Steinbock sisters 9-7 in the number one doubles. Allison Hansen and Ellen Svensson fell to Emily Haylock and Paige Brown in the no. 2 doubles, 8-6.
In the singles, Ellen Svensson fell to Paige Brown in a two set dual, 6-4, 6-7 (4), (10-4). In the four spot, Rachel Alder fell to Christine Skoda 3-6, 6-1, 6-4. The six spot saw Maria Svensson fall to Luiza Loureiro 4-6, 6-3, 10-8.
"We just need to start converting the potential that we have into getting the win," Coach Dorny said. The Utes will meet up with Idaho State on Wednesday, Feb. 19, in Salt Lake City. The match will be held at the Eccles Tennis Center and is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.
1. Courtney Steinbock def. Cassie Kasteler 6-1, 6-2
2. Paige Brown def. Ellen Svensson 6-4, 6-7 (4), (10-4)
4. Christine Skoda def. Rachel Alder 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Kim Lorenz def. Hillary Doyle 6-1, 6-0
6. Luiza Loureiro def. Maria Svensson 4-6, 6-3, (10-8)
1. Steinbock/Steinbock def. Kasteler/E. Svensson 9-7
2. Haylock/Brown def. Hansen/M. Svensson 8-6
3. Skoda/Loureiro def. Doyle/Alder 8-4