Cassie Kastler was the only Ute to take her match against Kansas State on Saturday. THe senior fell to Petra Sedlmajerova 4-6, 6-1, 6-1. The Utes lost 7-0.
Feb. 15, 2003
MANHATTAN ,Kan. -- - The University of Utah women's tennis team travelled to Kansas for the first match against Big 12 opponents, in a dual against Kansas State. The Utes were shut-out by the 57th-ranked Wildcats 7-0. This marks the third straight road loss for the women, and drops them to 2-3 on the year.
The Utes were not able to win any of the three doubles matches, thus unable to catch the doubles point, for the second straight match. Senior Cassie Kasteler and Ellen Svensson fell to the pairing of Andrea Cooper and Jessica Simosa. Kasteler and Svensson are now 2-3 on the year in doubles.
In the singles, Kasteler had a three-set loss to Petra Sedlmajerova in the no. one spot. "We had a great performance out Cassie today. She put herself in position to win the match," Utah Head Coach Megan Payne-Dorny said after the match. After capturing the first set 6-4, she dropped the next two 1-6 for the loss.
Next up, the Utes meet the Kansas Jayhawks for the second match of a two-game Kansas swing.
1. Petra Sedlmajerove def. Cassie Kasteler, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Maria Rosenberg def. Ellen Svensson, 6-2, 6-3
3. Jessica Simosa def. Allison Hansen, 6-0, 6-0
4. Paulina Castillejos def. Rachel Alder, 6-3, 6-1
5. Andrea Copper def. Hilary Doyle, 6-0, 6-2
6. Hayley McIver def. Maria Svensson 6-0, 6-2
1. Cooper/Simosa def. Kasteler/E. Svensson 8-3
2. Sedlmajerova/Castillejos def. Alder/Doyle 8-1
3. McIver/Rosenberg def. M. Svensson/Hansen 8-3