Freshman goalkeeper Ashley Mason ranks sixth in the NCAA in goals allowed.
Oct. 28, 2003
Utah (14-2, 5-0 MWC), ranked No. 17 in this week's NSCAA/adidas Top 25 poll, plays BYU (12-4-1, 4-1 MWC) on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. at South Field in Provo, Utah. The game will be shown on KBYU and BYUTV, and streamed over the Internet at byutv.org.
The top two teams in the Mountain West will meet with the regular-season conference title on the line. Utah has clinched at least a share of its second league title in its nine-year history, but can win its first outright conference championship with a win over the Cougars.
Scouting Brigham Young
The Cougars are 12-4-1 overall and in second place in the Mountain West Conference, one game behind the Utes ... BYU is 9-2-1 at home this season following a 5-1 win over Wyoming last Thursday ... Aleisha Rose (M/D, 5-10, Sr.) has five goals and a team-best nine assists ... Terra Bigelow (F/M, 5-5, Jr.) leads BYU with seven goals and has three assists ... Ashley Smith (GK, 5-9, So.) has played in 13 games this season, giving up nine goals and making 21 saves ... Head Coach Jennifer Rockwood is 154-43-4 in her ninth season at BYU ... BYU leads the all-time series 12-1-0. Last season, the Cougars won 2-1 on Nov. 2 in Salt Lake City before Utah got a 3-2 win on Nov. 14 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in Provo, Utah.
In The Polls
* Utah is ranked 17th in this week's NSCAA/adidas poll, moving up three spots from No. 20. The Utes are also ranked fifth in the West Region. On Sept. 29, Utah cracked the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 for the first time in school history and has been in the poll for four weeks. This week's No. 17 ranking is Utah's highest in school history.
* Utah remains in the Soccer Buzz Magazine Top 25 for the second straight week, moving up five spots to No. 14. The Utes are also ranked fourth in the West Region.
* Soccer America ranks the Utes 14th in the nation this week. Utah is in the poll for the third consecutive week.
* Soccer Times has Utah moving up four spots to No. 18. The Utes are in the poll for the second-straight week.
Bobbie Benegas and Amanda Feigt collaborated on two goals as Utah defeated Wyoming 2-0 on Saturday afternoon at Ute Field. The Utes also completed their regular-season home schedule with an 8-0 record.
Benegas scored the first goal of the game in the 28th minute after taking a pass from Feigt. The senior midfielder fired a shot from eight yards out into the upper right corner of the net.
Benegas then set up Feigt for an insurance goal with six and half minutes left. Feigt took the pass and dribbled in to place a shot from six yards away into the lower left corner. It was the third goal of the season for the freshman forward from Sandy, Utah.
Utah outshot the Cowgirls 22-1. Wyoming fired its only shot on Ute keeper Ashley Mason in the first half. Mason got her fourth complete-game shutout of the season. The Utes had an 8-1 advantage in corner kicks.
Head Coach Rich Manning
Rich Manning is 27-6-3 in his second season at Utah. Last season, he led Utah to a 13-4-3 mark, including a 4-1-1 record in Mountain West play, and the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Manning was also named the 2002 MWC Coach of the Year. Before joining the Utah program, Manning was an assistant and associate head coach at Santa Clara (1998-2001). During his tenure, the Broncos made the NCAA College Cup three times and captured the 2001 national title.
Quoting Rich Manning
On the BYU game - "It's been pleasing to see the progress we have made as a soccer team. We've improved in many areas during the course of the season. Our defense has really tightened up and our attack has become more diverse.
"BYU is a talented team with a good tradition. It will be a fun challenge to see if we can put our best soccer on display against them in a very meaningful game. I am confident that we will play with great heart and character."
Amanda Feigt Named MWC Offensive Player of the Week
Utah freshman forward Amanda Feigt was named Mountain West Conference Women's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week. This is Feigt's first player of the week honor. Feigt, a native of Sandy, Utah, led the Utes to a 2-0 win over Mountain West title contender Wyoming last weekend, scoring a goal and adding an assist.
Utah in the NCAA/Mountain West Statistics
* In the NCAA team rankings as of Oct. 27, the Utes are 10th in goals against average (0.556), 17th in shutout percentage (.560) and fifth in won-lost-tied percentage (.875) ... Ashley Mason ranks sixth in goals-against average (0.456).
* In the MWC team rankings, Utah is second in goals per game (2.19), first in assists per game (2.12), second in shots per game (15.50), first in goals-against average (0.56) and fifth in saves per game (3.56).
* In the MWC individual rankings, Amanda Feigt is first shots per game (3.00), ninth in points per game (0.88), second in assists per game (0.50) ... Lauren Field is ninth in shots per game (2.33), first in points per game (1.33), first in goals per game (0.58), fourth in game-winning goals (2) ... Amber Brower is second in points per game (1.19), second in goals per game (0.50), first in game-winning goals (5) ... Missy Dennis is eighth in points per game (0.94), third in assists per game (0.44), fourth in game-winning goals (2) ... Carisse Winegar is fifth in assists per game (0.25) ... Julie Herdic is 10th in assists per game (0.21) ... Ashley Mason is first in goals-against average (0.46), sixth in saves per game (3.08), fifth in shutouts (4) ... Kaycie Zimmerman is seventh in shutouts (3).
* Utah has its most wins (14) through 16 games in school history. Its previous best start was last season, when the Utes went 11-2-3 through 16 games.
* The Utes have already tied the school record for conference wins with five. Utah went 5-1 in its first year as an MWC member in 1999, tying for the conference title.
* Utah is 2-1 against NSCAA/adidas Top 25 teams this season. The Utes defeated No. 5 Florida (1-0) on Sept. 28 and No. 17 Michigan (4-1) on Aug. 31 at Ute Field. They lost at No. 6 Texas A&M (1-0) on Sept. 5.
* Utah is 4-0 against teams ranked in the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 at Ute Field under second-year head coach Rich Manning. This year, Utah defeated No. 17 Michigan (4-1) on Aug. 31 and No. 5 Florida (1-0) on Sept. 28. Last season, the Utes defeated fourth-ranked Portland (2-0) on Sept. 1 and 18th-ranked Kentucky (3-0) on Sept. 8.
* Utah has shut out nine teams this season, including four of the five MWC teams it has faced. The Utes defeated Weber State 3-0, Utah State 1-0 in overtime, Idaho State 2-0, No. 5 Florida 1-0, Saint Mary's College 2-0, Air Force 4-0, New Mexico 1-0 in overtime, San Diego State 2-0, and Wyoming 2-0. Utah has given up more than one goal in just two games this season, winning both contests. The Utes defeated Colgate 3-2 and Baylor 3-2 in overtime.
* The Utes have been shut out twice, falling 1-0 No. 6 Texas A&M on Sept. 5 and 1-0 to Sacramento State on Oct. 5. In four games, Utah has scored at least three goals, including a season-high of four against No. 17 Michigan on Aug. 31.
* Utah's freshmen goalkeepers have held up well this season. Kaycie Zimmerman has allowed just five goals in 664 minutes. She has made 18 saves (.783 saves percentage) with a 0.68 goals against average and has 3.2 shutouts. Ashley Mason has given up only four goals in 789 minutes. On the season, she has made 37 saves (.902 saves percentage) with a 0.46 goals against average and has 4.2 shutouts.
Utah hosts the Mountain West Conference Tournament next Wednesday through Saturday (Nov. 5-8) at Ute Field. With a win over BYU, the Utes would earn a bye in the first round as the No. 1 seed; otherwise they would play on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. Utah semifinal game would be Thursday at 2:00 p.m. and the championship game is set for Saturday at Noon.