Junior forward Lauren Field leads the Utes with seven goals this season.
Oct. 14, 2003
Utah (11-2, 2-0 MWC), ranked No. 19 in the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 poll, plays its second weekend of Mountain West Conference games on the road. The Utes play at UNLV (6-6-2, 0-1 MWC) on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. (PDT) and at San Diego State (5-7-1, 0-1 MWC) on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. (PDT).
The Rebels are 6-6-2 overall and 0-1 in Mountain West Conference play ... UNLV played two games on the road last weekend, falling to Wyoming in its conference opener 1-0 on Friday and tying Colorado College 0-0 on Sunday ... Annii Magliulo (F/M, 5-4, Jr.) has seven goals, including three game winners, and two assists ... Erin Egertson (M/D, 5-7, Sr.) has two goals and three assists ... Jenna Huff (GK, 6-0, So.) has played in 13 games, giving up 14 goals (1.26 gaa) and making 76 saves ... Head Coach Dan Abdalla is 39-30-5 in his fourth season at UNLV ... Utah leads the series with UNLV 4-1. Last season, the Utes won 4-0 in Salt Lake City on Oct. 26.
Scouting San Diego State
The Aztecs are 5-7-1 overall and 0-1 in Mountain West Conference play ... San Diego State played two games on the road last weekend, falling to Colorado College 3-2 in double overtime on Friday and dropping its league opener at Wyoming 3-1 on Sunday ... Kim Castellanos (F, 5-2, Sr.) has six goals, including two game winners ... Lisette Martinez (M, 5-4, So.) has a goal and four assists ... Stephanie Pearson (GK, 5-6, Sr.) has played every minute in front of the goal, allowing 22 scores (1.62 gaa) and making 39 saves ... Head Coach Chuck Clegg is 120-78-7 in his 11th season at SDSU ... Utah leads the series with San Diego State 6-3. Last season, the Utes won 5-1 on Oct. 24 in Salt Lake City.
In The Polls
* Utah is ranked 19th in this week's NSCAA/adidas Top 25 poll. The Utes are also ranked fifth in the West Region. On Sept. 29, Utah cracked the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 for the first time in school history at No. 19 before falling out last week. This week's No. 19 ranking equalls Utah's highest ever in any poll.
* Soccer America ranks the Utes 25th in the nation, reentering its poll after a one week absence.
* Soccer Buzz Magazine has the Utes receiving votes in its Top 25 poll and ranked eighth in the West Region this week.
* Soccer Times has Utah receiving 28 votes and ranked 26th in its poll.
Utah swept its first weekend of Mountain West Conference games at home, defeating Air Force 4-0 on Thursday and New Mexico 1-0 in overtime on Saturday. Lauren Field, who had missed the last three games following a heart procedure, made a big impact in her return with two goals and an assist against Air Force. With Utah already staked to a 1-0 lead thanks to Amber Brower's goal in the 26th minute, Field played a part in three goals in the final 15 minutes of the half.
Field scored her first goal in the 31st minute, taking a shot from five yards out and placing it in the upper right corner. Field's second goal, set up by a well-placed pass from McKenzie Joyner, came from five yards out 42:11 in. Fourteen seconds later, Field set up Julie Herdic for a five-yard shot.
The Utes outshot the Falcons 15-4 and had an 8-2 advantage in corner kicks. Kaycie Zimmerman made two saves in goal for the Utes, playing the entire 90 minutes.
Brower's goal 2:30 into the first overtime period was the difference against New Mexico. Brower took the ball off of a rebound as the Utes pressured Lobo keeper Kristen Winters.
Zimmerman played the entire 92:30 in goal for the Utes, making one save for her third complete game shutout. The Utes outshot the Lobos 20-2 and had a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks.
Head Coach Rich Manning
Rich Manning is 24-6-3 in his second season at Utah. Last season, he led Utah to a 13-4-3 mark, including a 4-1-1 record in Mountain West play, and the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Manning was also named the 2002 MWC Coach of the Year. Before joining the Utah program, Manning was an assistant and associate head coach at Santa Clara (1998-2001). During his tenure, the Broncos made the NCAA College Cup three times and captured the 2001 national title.
Quoting Rich Manning
On playing UNLV and San Diego State - "This is an important trip for us. We'll have the opportunity to take two more steps toward our goal of a Mountain West Conference championship. UNLV has a good defense, led by a terrific goalkeeper in Jenna Huff. It will be a good challenge to see if we can score against her. San Diego State is tough to beat, especially at home. Kim Castellanos is a proven goal scorer. We'll have to shut her down to be successful."
From the Training Room
* Junior forward Lauren Field has a sprained ankle and is probable for this weekend.
* Senior forward/midfielder Bobbie Benegas has an injured back and is probable for this weekend.
* Freshman goalkeeper Ashley Mason has a shoulder injury is day-to-day. She is likely to play this weekend.
* Freshman defender/midfielder Tasia Duarte has a stress fracture in her fibula. She can participate as tolerated and is probable for this weekend.
Utah in the NCAA/Mountain West Statistics
* In the NCAA team rankings, the Utes are 20th in goals against average (0.63), 24th in shutout percentage (.540) and 14th in won-lost-tied percentage (.846).
* In the MWC team rankings, Utah is second in goals per game (2.00), second in assists per game (2.15), second in shots per game (14.62), first in goals against average (0.63) and fifth in saves per game (3.62).
* In the MWC individual rankings, Amanda Feigt is sixth in shots per game (2.54), fourth in assists per game (0.38) ... Lauren Field is seventh in shots per game (2.30), first in points per game (1.60), first in goals per game (0.70), fourth in game-winning goals (2) ... Amber Brower is fourth in points per game (1.15), fourth in goals per game (0.46), first in game-winning goals (4), 10th in assists per game (0.23) ... Missy Dennis is seventh in points per game (0.92), second in assists per game (0.46) ... Carisse Winegar is ninth in points per game (0.77), fifth in assists per game (0.31) ... Bobbie Benegas is ninth in assists per game (0.25) ... Kaycie Zimmerman is seventh in saves per game (1.67), second in shutouts per game (0.33), first in goals against average (0.72) ... Ashley Mason is ninth in shutouts per game (0.22).
* Utah has its most wins (11) through 13 games in school history. Its previous best start was last season, when Utah went 9-1-3 through 13 games. In 2002, Utah went on to go 11-1-3 before suffering its second loss.
* Utah is 2-1 against NSCAA/adidas Top 25 teams this season. The Utes defeated No. 5 Florida (1-0) on Sept. 28 and No. 17 Michigan (4-1) on Aug. 31 at Ute Field. They lost at No. 6 Texas A&M (1-0) on Sept. 5. BYU, which was 24th in the preseason poll, hosts the Utes in Provo, Utah, Nov. 1.
* The win over Florida improved Utah to 4-0 against teams ranked in the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 at Ute Field under second-year head coach Rich Manning. Earlier this year, Utah defeated No. 17 Michigan (4-1) on Aug. 31. Last season, the Utes defeated fourth-ranked Portland (2-0) on Sept. 1 and 18th-ranked Kentucky (3-0) on Sept. 8.
* Utah has shut out seven teams this season, defeating Weber State 3-0, Utah State 1-0 in overtime, Idaho State 2-0, No. 5 Florida 1-0, Saint Mary's College 2-0, Air Force 4-0 and New Mexico 1-0 in overtime. Utah has given up more than one goal in just two games this season, winning both contests. The Utes defeated Colgate 3-2 and Baylor 3-2 in overtime.
* The Utes have been shut out twice, falling 1-0 No. 6 Texas A&M on Sept. 5 and 1-0 to Sacramento State on Oct. 5. In four games, Utah has scored at least three goals, including a season-high of four against No. 17 Michigan on Aug. 31.
* Utah's freshmen goalkeepers have held up well this season. Kaycie Zimmerman has allowed just five goals in 619 minutes. She has made 15 saves with a 0.73 goals against average and has 3.1 shutouts. Ashley Mason has given up only three goals in 564 minutes. On the season, she has made 30 saves with a 0.48 goals against average and has 2.2 shutouts.
Utah continues its Mountain West Conference schedule at home with one game, taking on Wyoming on Saturday, Oct. 25 at 3:00 p.m. at Ute Field.