Rich Manning will go for his 20th win as Utah's head coach Wednesday.
Sept. 24, 2003
Utah (6-1-0), ranked 24th in this week's Soccer America poll, takes on Idaho State (4-2-1) on Thursday at 5:00 p.m. in Pocatello, Idaho. The Utes then return home to play Florida (7-0-0), ranked No. 2 in the Soccer America poll and No. 5 in the NSCAA/adidas poll, on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Ute Field.
Scouting Idaho State
The Bengals are 4-2-1 overall and 1-1-1 at home this season ... Last week, they made a two-game wing through Utah, defeating Southern Utah (6-2) in Cedar City on Thursday and losing to BYU (2-0) in Provo on Saturday ... Shawna Park (Jr., 5-9, M) has four goals and two assists ... Stacey Allen (Jr., 5-4, F) has three goals and two assists ... Shannon Boyle (Jr., 5-6, GK) has made 30 saves and allowed seven goals in seven games ... Head Coach Gordon Henderson is 49-44-10 in his sixth season at ISU ... Utah is 2-0-1 all-time against Idaho State. The Utes defeated the Bengals 4-1 last season on Sept. 12 in Salt Lake City.
The Gators, ranked No. 2 by Soccer America and No. 5 by NSCAA/adidas, are 7-0-0 overall ... Florida will play its first road game of the season at BYU on Friday ... Their last time out, the Gators defeated Missouri (4-0) at home on Sunday ... Crystal Frimpong (Sr., 5-3, F) has scored four goals on seven shots and has two assists ... Dena "D" Floyd (Sr., 5-7, M) has three goals on 15 shots and two assists ... Brittni Goodwin (Fr., 5-9, GK) has made 24 saves and allowed seven goals in seven games ... Head Coach Becky Burleigh is 157-35-6 in her ninth season at Florida ... Utah is 0-1-0 all-time against Florida. The Utes lost 5-2 in Gainesville, Fla., on Aug. 31, 2001.
In The Polls
* Soccer America Magazine ranks Utah No. 24 in the nation. This is the third consecutive week Utah has been in the Top 25.
* Utah is receiving votes and ranked 30th in the NSCAA/adidas poll. The Utes are ninth in the NSCAA/adidas West Region rankings.
* Soccer Times lists Utah as receiving votes and ranked 32nd in its poll.
* Soccer Buzz Magazine has the Utes ranked ninth in the West Region and receiving votes for the Top 25.
Utah pulled out two hard-fought wins, defeating Utah State 1-0 in overtime on the road on Tuesday and coming back to get a 2-1 win over Montana at Ute Field on Sunday.
Amanda Feigt scored her first goal as a Ute against Utah State, taking a quick shot off a deflection in front of the goal and punching it past keeper Megan Mills 3:27 into the first overtime. The Utes tripled Utah State's number of shots (15-5) and forced Mills to make five saves. Utah's goalkeepers combined for their second consecutive shutout. Kaycie Zimmerman started the game for the Utes, making one save in the first half. Ashley Mason finished the game, making two saves.
The Utes, who outshot the Montana 17-7, fell behind 1-0 before finally getting one past goalkeeper Sarah Braseth 64:13 in. Missy Dennis took a pass from Carisse Winegar and placed a shot from five yards out into the middle of the net. With less than 11 minutes remaining, Feigt arced a pass with a header deep on the right side to Ester Imotan, who then sent a touch pass to Amber Brower in front of the goal for the game-winner.
Head Coach Rich Manning
Rich Manning is 19-5-3 in his second season at Utah. Last season, he led Utah to a 13-4-3 mark, including a 4-1-1 record in Mountain West play, and the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Manning was also named the 2002 MWC Coach of the Year. Before joining the Utah program, Manning was an assistant and associate head coach at Santa Clara (1998-2001). During his tenure, the Broncos made the NCAA College Cup three times and captured the 2001 national title.
Quoting Rich Manning
On playing Idaho State: "Thursday's game in Pocatello will give us another chance to exercise our road muscles in preparation for conference. Idaho State's team is well-coached. They also have a champion's mentality, having won the Big Sky the last couple of years. It will be a good challenge for us."
On playing Florida: "Florida is off to a terrific start. They are skilled, athletic and hungry to get back to the NCAA tournament. This is one of the most athletic teams in the country. It will be fun to see how we stack up against them. Fans that come out on Sunday will be in for a treat."
Utah in the Mountain West Rankings
* In the MWC team rankings, Utah is first in goals per game (2.29), first in assists per game (2.57), fourth in shots per game (15.00), third in goals against average (0.98) and fifth in saves per game (4.00).
* In the MWC individual rankings, Missy Dennis is third in points per game (1.29), sixth in goals per game (0.43) and fourth in assists per game (0.43) ... Lauren Field is fourth in points per game (1.14), third in goals per game (0.57) and ninth in shots per game (2.29) ... Amber Brower is eighth in points per game (1.00), sixth in goals per game (0.43) and sixth in shots per game (2.71) ... Carisse Winegar is 10th in points per game (0.86) and second in assists per game (0.57) ... Amanda Feigt is 10th in points per game (0.86) and fourth in shots per game (3.00) ... Melissa Wayman is ninth in goals per game (0.33) ... Erin Pruitt is 10th in goals per game (0.25) ... Julie Herdic is ninth in assists per game (0.33) ... Bobbie Benegas is fourth in assists per game (0.43) ... Ashley Mason is sixth in saves per game (2.83) ... Kaycie Zimmerman is eighth in saves per game (2.00).
* Utah has given up more than one goal in just two games this season, winning both games. The Utes defeated Colgate 3-2 and Baylor 3-2 in overtime. Utah has shutout two teams this season, defeating Weber State 3-0 and Utah State 1-0 in overtime.
* Utah's freshmen goalkeepers have held up well early this season. Kaycie Zimmerman has allowed just four goals in 278 minutes. She has made 10 saves with 1.29 goals against average. Ashley Mason has given up only three goals in 363 minutes. On the season, she has made 17 saves with a 0.74 goals against average.
* The Utes have been shut out only once, falling 1-0 No. 6 Texas A&M on Sept. 5. In four games, Utah has scored at least three goals, including a season-high of four against No. 17 Michigan on Aug. 31.
* Utah is 1-1 against NSCAA/adidas Top 25 teams this season. The Utes defeated No. 17 Michigan 4-1 at Ute Field on Aug. 31. They lost at No. 6 Texas A&M 1-0 on Sept. 5. Florida, ranked No. 5 in this week's poll, visits Salt Lake City on Sunday. BYU, which was 24th in the preseason poll, hosts the Utes in Provo, Utah, Nov. 1.
* The win over Michigan improved Utah to 3-0 against teams ranked in the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 at Ute Field under second-year head coach Rich Manning. Last season, the Utes defeated fourth-ranked Portland, 2-0, on Sept. 1 and 18th-ranked Kentucky, 3-0, on Sept. 8.
* Utah will face four NCAA Tournament teams from last season. Michigan and Texas A&M were NCAA quarterfinalists last fall. Idaho State and BYU, two teams Utah plays on the road, also made the NCAA Tournament. Florida, which comes to Ute Field on Sept. 28, was the 1998 NCAA champion and 2001 semifinalist.
Utah makes a two-game swing through California, playing Saint Mary's College on Friday, Oct. 3, at 3:00 p.m. (PDT) and Sacramento State on Sunday, Oct. 5, at 1:00 p.m. (PDT).