Missy Dennis has three assists and two goals this season.
Sept. 16, 2003
Utah (4-1-0), ranked 24th in this week's Soccer America poll, takes on Utah State (4-2-0) in Logan, Utah, on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. and hosts Montana (1-4-1) on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Ute Field.
Scouting Utah State
The Aggies are 4-2 overall and 2-1 at home this season ... Last week, Utah State won two games at home, defeating Nevada (4-0) on Thursday and Gonzaga (1-0) on Sunday ... Amber Tracy (Sr., 5-6, F) has two goals and three assists on the season ... Ally Clegg (Sr., 5-4, M) has two goals and one assist ... Megan Mills (Jr., 5-9, GK) has allowed four goals in six games, posing three shutouts ... Heather Cairns is in her first season as the Aggies' head coach ... Utah is 4-1 all-time against Utah State.
The Grizzlies are 1-4-1 overall and 0-2-1 on the road this season ... Last week, the Griz defeated UC Irvine (1-0) on Friday and lost to Cal Poly (3-0) on Sunday in the Montana Diadora Cup ... Jamie Rizzuto (So., 5-6, F) has two goals on five shots ... Tara Schwager (So, 5-11, F) has a goal and two assists ... Sarah Braseth (So, 5-9, GK) has given up 13 goals in six games ... Betsy Duerksen is 110-62-5 in her 10th season at Montana ... Utah is 4-2-0 all-time against Montana.
In The Polls
* Soccer America Magazine ranks Utah No. 24 in the nation. This is the second consecutive week Utah has been in the Top 25.
* Utah is tied for 10th in the NSCAA/adidas West Region rankings.
* Soccer Buzz Magazine has the Utes ranked ninth in the West Region and receiving votes for the Top 25.
Utah scored two goals late in the first half and kept the pressure on the entire game, firing 28 shots, in a 3-0 win over Weber State on Thursday afternoon at Ute Field.
Utah outshot the Wildcats 28-10 and had 15 shots on goal. The Utes also had a 12-2 edge over Weber State in corner kicks.
Ute keepers Ashley Mason and Kaycie Zimmerman combined for Utah's first shutout of the season. Mason made three saves in the first 45 minutes while Zimmerman finished the job, making four stops in the second half.
Head Coach Rich Manning
Rich Manning is 17-5-3 in his second season at Utah. Last season, he led Utah to a 13-4-3 mark, including a 4-1-1 record in Mountain West play, and the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Manning was also named the 2002 MWC Coach of the Year. Before joining the Utah program, Manning was an assistant and associate head coach at Santa Clara (1998-2001). During his tenure, the Broncos made the NCAA College Cup three times and captured the 2001 national title.
Quoting Rich Manning
On Playing Utah State - "Utah State is off to a terrific start with their new coach. We had a close, dramatic game with them last season. I expect that this game will be no different. They have good goalkeeping, defend with great intensity, and have a couple of dangerous attacking players. It will be a good test for us."
On Playing Montana - "Montana is one of the most physical teams we will play. They have good athletes and play with great passion. Sara Braseth is tough to beat in the goal. She turned in a brilliant performance against us last year. We'll see if we can get anything by her this year."
Utah in the Mountain West Rankings
* In the MWC team rankings, Utah is first in goals per game (2.60), first in assists per game (2.80), fourth in shots (14.60) and fourth in goals against average (1.18).
* In the MWC individual rankings, Amber Brower is tied for ninth in points per game (1.00) and tied for seventh in goals per game (0.40) ... Missy Dennis is tied for fifth in points per game (1.40), tied for seventh in goals per game (0.40) and tied for second in assists per game (0.60) ... Amanda Feigt is tied for 10th in shots per game (2.40) and tied for second in assists per game (0.60) ... Lauren Field is seventh in shots per game (3.00), third in points per game (1.60), third in goals per game (0.80) and third in points per game (1.60) ... Julie Herdic is tied for sixth in assists per game (0.40) ... Ashley Mason is third in goals against average (0.67) and fifth in saves per game (3.50) ... Melissa Wayman is tied for seventh in goals per game (0.40) ... Carisse Winegar is tied for ninth in points per game (1.00) and tied for second in assists per game (0.60) ... Kaycie Zimmerman is eighth in saves per game (2.17).
* Freshman goalkeeper Ashley Mason has given up only two goals in 270 minutes. She shut out No. 17 Michigan on Aug. 31 until the 76th minute and made four saves. Against No. 6 Texas A&M, she gave up only one goal in the 76th minute while making four saves. On the season, she has made 14 saves with a 0.67 goals against average.
* The Utes have been shut out only once, falling 1-0 No. 6 Texas A&M on Sept. 5. In all four other games, Utah has scored at least three goals, including a season-high of four against No. 17 Michigan.
* Utah is 1-1 against NSCAA/adidas Top 25 teams this season. The Utes defeated No. 17 Michigan 4-1 at Ute Field on Aug. 31. They lost at No. 6 Texas A&M 1-0 on Sept. 5. Florida, ranked No. 5 in this week's poll, visits Salt Lake City on Sept. 28. BYU, which was 24th in the preseason poll, hosts the Utes in Provo, Utah, Nov. 1.
* The win over Michigan improved Utah to 3-0 against teams ranked in the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 at Ute Field under second-year head coach Rich Manning. Last season, the Utes defeated fourth-ranked Portland, 2-0, on Sept. 1 and 18th-ranked Kentucky, 3-0, on Sept. 8.
* Utah will face four NCAA Tournament teams from last season. Michigan and Texas A&M were NCAA quarterfinalists last fall. Idaho State and BYU, two teams Utah plays on the road, also made the NCAA Tournament. Florida, which comes to Ute Field on Sept. 28, was the 1998 NCAA champion and 2001 semifinalist.
Utah plays at Idaho State on Thursday, Sept. 25 at 5:00 p.m. before returning home to host Florida, ranked fifth in the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 poll, on Sunday, Sept. 28 at 1:00 p.m.