Toamsz Grzyb helped to capture two points for the Utes on the day. His singles victory over Jeff Olsen, as well as a doubles win with Daniel Lohff, helped the Utes put up a strong contest against Brigham Young
April 3, 2003
PROVO, Utah - The University of Utah men's tennis team opened conference play today with a tough contest against #63 ranked Brigham Young. While the Utes played tough to the end, the Cougars came out on top with a 4-3 win. The loss sets Utah's record to 7-10 on the year.
The Utes came out strong, grabbing two out of three doubles matches. Tyler Poulson teamed with Tomasz Grzyb while Kaisorn Chaichana doubled with Daniel Lohff, each with 9-7 victories over Jose Lechuga and Anton Rudjuk, and Alonso Medina and Jeff Olsen respectively.
The Utes were unable to capture any of the singles matches, however, until Tomasz Grzyb downed Jeff Olsen 7-6, 7-6. The third point for Utah on the day came with Nick Coutts 7-6, 7-5 win over Alonso Medina. The key contest for the day came in a difficult three-set match in number two singles between Roeland Brateanu and Carlos Lozano. While Brateanu captured the first set 6-4, Lozano captured the second and third sets for the win.
The Utes will now look to host UNLV on Friday and San Diego State on Saturday.
1. No. 18 Lozano/Nyman (BYU) def. Brateanu/Coutts (UU) 8-3
2. Poulson/Grzyb (UU) def. Lechuga/Rudjuk (BYU) 9-7
3. Chaichana/Lohff (UU) def. Medina/Olsen (UU) 9-7
1. Erik Nyman (BYU) def. Daniel Lohff (UU) 6-3, 7-6
2. Carlos Lozano (BYU) def. Roeland Brateanu (UU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Jose Lechuga (BYU) def. Tyler Poulson (UU 6-1, 6-3
5. Nick Coutts (UU) def. Alonso Medina (BYU) 7-6, 7-5
6. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) def. Kaisorn Chaichana (UU) 6-3, 7-6