March 14, 2013
SPRING CAMP OPENS
Utah's 2013 spring football camp opens on Tuesday, Mar. 19, kicking off a series of 15 practices. Outdoor practices in the spring--at both the practice fields and Rice-Eccles Stadium--are open to the public. Practices held in the Spence Eccles Field House for weather-related reasons are closed to the public for safety reasons. Camp will conclude with the 10th-annual Red-White game on Saturday, Apr. 20.
WEEK 1 SCHEDULE Tuesday No pads 2:45-4:45 p.m. Wednesday Pro Day Closed to Public Thursday No pads 2:45-4:45 p.m. Saturday No Tackle 10 a.m.-noonSCRIMMAGES
NEW THIS SEASON
* Coaches: Dennis Erickson is the new co-offensive coordinator with Brian Johnson. Erickson, who has 23 years experience as a head college coach at six universities and six seasons as a head coach in the NFL, will also manage Utah's running backs. Johnson will continue coaching the quarterbacks. Ilaisa Tuiaki takes over the defensive line after coaching the fullbacks and tight ends last season, and Jay Hill now has the tight ends (he coached the running backs in 2012), while continuing his role as special teams coordinator.
* Name Change: Junior defensive end Nate Fakahafua has changed his name to Nate Orchard.
* Lining Up: Senior Trevor Reilly, who made eight starts at linebacker and four at defensive end in 2012, is the projected starter at left end. Reilly will miss spring ball with an injury. Sophomore All-America candidate Jeremiah Poutasi moves from right tackle to left tackle.
* Take a Number: The scholarship receivers must "earn" their numbers this spring. Suiting up in unfamiliar numbers to start spring camp are returning scholarship receivers Brian Allen, Dres Anderson, Anthony Denham, Sean Fitzgerald, Delshawn McClellon, Quinton Pedroza and Kenneth Scott.
* New Digs: Utah's new $30 million football facility is scheduled to open in July. The new practice fields are already operational and will be used this spring.
Utah will run a spread offense and a 4-3 defense. While the Utes have employed aspects of the spread for the past several seasons, their offense has been termed multiple ... 13 starters (6 offense, 6 defense, 1 kicker) and 50 lettermen return ... New signees who are enrolled in classes and here for the start of spring camp are junior offensive lineman Andrew Albers, freshman quarterback Brandon Cox, freshman tight end Harrison Handley, freshman linebacker Uaea Masina, junior defensive back Davion Orphey and junior tight end Greg Reese. Also in camp for the first time is freshman defensive tackle Tevita Bloomfield, a 2011 signee who enrolled in January.